[asterisk-users] several behind NAT

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Mon Nov 6 09:28:57 MST 2006

On 6 Nov 2006, at 15:28, Todd- Asterisk wrote:

> I've got my asterisk server in the DMZ of my local LAN - I've used
> my Budgetone and GXP2000's from the Internet- on direct IP
> connections with no problems.  However, I'm about to deploy about 5
> phones (either budgetone or GXP2000's) all on a LAN behind a NAT-
> on a different network than the Asterisk server.  Should I look
> into using STUN servers?  Will this setup be a problem?  I've read
> about NAT and STUN on voip-info but am looking for more
> information..   btw- I'm not set on Grandstream.  If you think
> Polycom or something can handle NAT better, then I'll use that
> instead.  I guess there's no IAX phones yet...  Thanks in advance.

There are a few ways to avoid the problem:
	1) put a second interface on your asterisk box that is on the
internal LAN (potential
security hazard, but you may have a phone-only LAN segment and a
secure DMZ in which case it
would be fine).
	2) Add a VPN between the 2 segments (similar issues to 1)
	3) Add a small asterisk device to your 'inner' LAN and have it talk
IAX to the main device on the DMZ
	4) As per 3 but swap the machines, put a small device on the DMZ and
the real asterisk
deep in your LAN.

4 is my preferred option, but your situation may vary.....

Others will tell you how to get the XXYZ phone to do NAT just right
with the ABCD routers :-)

Tim.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net