[asterisk-users] skype and SIP hardware for linux

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 01:59:51 MST 2006

I'm looking at the <http://support.a-link.com/phonemate/IPU1.htm> phone
because it works with Skype (from Linux), but can do SIP, too.

Not necessarily asterisk related, but possibly.  My networking situation
might require IAX if I'm running Linux and want to use SIP, I'm not
certain (Skype works fine). Putting that unknown aside for the moment, how
does this phone work under either Skype or as a SIP phone?

The information I have on the driver, skypemate, is a bit sketchy.
According to A-Link, the phone complies with SIP,
<http://www.a-link.com/us_us/IPU1.html>, but the details are sketchy.  No
information is provided as to the interface for configuring SIP.  The user
manual,
<http://support.a-link.com/phonemate/Manual/IPU1manual_for_Linux.pdf>,
details using Skype but not SIP.

Any user experience with this phone?  For instance, has anyone used it
with gizmo project or free world dialup, or even Skype?

thanks,

Thufir