[asterisk-users] Asterisk architecture

Vikki vicister at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 08:59:08 MST 2006

I think you can use asterisk for your sip implementation.

As you already know, SIP is peer to peer and you don't need asterisk when u
want to communicate just between two users. If you are thinking about having
more than 2 users (say 25) in the setup, Asterisk will help you there. In
this case, Asterisk will be the SIP registrar/feature server for all the
users. Sip UA (users) will send the requests to asterisk and asterisk will
route the call appropriately.

Hope this helps

On 11/3/06, Christopher Chan <chrisfz at netvigator.com> wrote:

> > so if you have u1 and u2 and they simply wish to
> > communicate and they have eachother's IP, do they need
> > Asterisk for something?
>
> no.
>

> > Also, in a pure SIP implementation, what does Asterisk
> > offer and what is Asterisk required for?
>
> line/no. registration and setting up calls between sip phones.
>
> asterisk is required, I believe, when you need an easy method of getting
> your users to be able to call one another other than supplying a list of
> ip addresses and fixing the ip address of each user.

Thanks,
Vikki.