[asterisk-users] Audio goes one way during the call for a few seconds. Is it RTP, NAT, dyndns, or what it is?

Zeeshan Zakaria zishanov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 04:25:36 MST 2006

Hi everybody,

I finally want to get rid of 1-way audio problem. Please help me here.

I have 3 scenarios.

1. Audio is always one way. Caller who dialed can't listen the called party
but called party can listen him. In this scenatio Asterisk is on dynamic IP
with dyndns FQDN. sip.conf has externip = abc.dyndns.org and localnet =
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx entry. Trunk and extensions are SIP. Where is the voice
getting lost from the called party? NAT is there but Asterisk is in DMZ.

2. Conversation is going fine when all of a sudden you realize that other
parth has started saying 'hello, hello' because they can't hear you. But you
are hearing them loud and clear. Now you are on static IP with dyndns FQDN.
externip and localnet settings in sip.conf (do we need them for static IP?).
After about 15-20 seconds, again 2-way converstaion is established again.
IAX trunk, SIP extension, no NAT.

3. Conversation goes one way for 15-20 sec during the most important part of
the conversation (Murphy's Law). You are on a static IP with no dyndns
enrty. Trunk is ZAP on PRI, extensions SIP. NAT present but router properly
configures for port forwarding. externip and localnet settings present in
sip.conf

Is think may be due to some reason RTP stream gets lost, routed to wrong
IP. But why would this happen during a call and how to stop it from
happening. Or is there some other reason behind this? Does dyndns setting
have to do anything with this problem? How can I overcome this problem once
and forever.

--
Zeeshan A Zakaria