[asterisk-users] Running asterisk with 'sudo'

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Nov 2 20:56:25 MST 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 05:12:33PM +0100, Asterisk wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm using RedHat and am trying to configure my sudo to enable user
> 'testuser' to run Asterisk. However whenever I try to run 'sudo
> asterisk' as 'testuser' I get prompted for password.

BTW: there is the alternative option: run a private copy of Asterisk
that does not require root. For that you'll probably need a custom
asterisk.conf with different pathes. And the standard Asterisk can't be
running at the same time or alternatively both copies need to be bound
to different TCP ports.

Limitations: non-root asterisk cannot use -U (obviously) -G (I believe)
and -p (which requires root) or the equivalent asterisk.conf options.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com