[asterisk-users] PURE OUTBOUND setup (how do I proceed from here?)

Zak Kinion asterisklists at bonussix.info
Wed Nov 1 17:11:48 MST 2006

Hello all,

This is my first message to the mailing list.  I am seeking advice as to
how to proceed/what to get for my current situation.

I want to use asterisk to make a system that does pure outbound calls
and plays a message upon a live answer or answering machine.  Basically
it needs to make several calls at once.  This is non-profit and is to
help out a question we have on the local ballot.  I am good with
python/php/mysql, and freebsd server administration.  I am alright in
linux.  I want to do this myself or at most with a couple of friends.  I
am rusty with C/C++ (haven't done any since college).

What's the most cost effective way to get this done?  I want to do it
myself and am up to the task.  I just need to be pointed in the right
direction.

What are your recommendations as to how to proceed?  Should I go all
Vo-ip and just connect the server running asterisk to a dsl line?
Should I get some digium/zaptel hardware and connect to a T-1 line
?(about 250-350$ a month down here, which is acceptible).  My Budget is
up to a grand or so a month.  The less the better.  My main concern is
cost per call, not just fixed monthly rates. The calls will all be going
to local PSTN numbers.

Am I looking at making some AGI program in python that draws from a
mysql database of numbers and dials out/leaves the message?  Is it even
possible in asterisk to make multiple outbound calls at the same time in
such a way?

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for
your time.  Now I'll go back to reading.  :-)