[asterisk-users] Re: Asterisk both behind a NAT and outside at the same time

Brad Templeton brad+aster at templetons.com
Wed Nov 1 13:13:55 MST 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 06:16:25PM +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> BT> The correct behaviour, as I see it is:
>
> BT>     a) Native bridge when connecting two external channels --
> BT> everybody is on the real internet b) Native bridge when connecting
> BT> two internal channels -- everybody is on the 192.168.* network c)
> BT> Route RTP through Asterisk when connecting internal and external
> BT> d) When a channel is to a device behind a remote NAT, the usual
> BT> rules apply (either use STUN or other smart NAT, or route RTP
> BT> through Asterisk)
>
> You won't get asterisk to do what you want. That kind of logic simply
> isn't implemented, and no amount of fiddling with configuration files
> will make it happen.
>
> I'm sure patches are welcome.

Thanks.  Will look into it.  Probably need to switch to 1.4 before I start
writing more patches though.   Though to my surprise I am now discovering
something worse.   It doesn't seem to work in the lastest 1.2 even
with canreinvite=no and nat=yes on the natted (internal) phone with
a connection coming in from outside.    The outsider has to presume it's
calling a natted phone rather than a non-natted asterisk, the invalid
SDP is leaking out.   I'll see if I can pin that down a bit better.