[asterisk-users] Cisco 7960 password/shared secret problem --- Related to OS X ?

Mark Engelhardt marke at intuitiveengineering.com
Wed Nov 1 11:08:50 MST 2006

Hello,

Whenever I put in a password/Shared Secret in my 7960 and try and get
it to register with asterisk on OS X setup, the phone fails to register.

Oct 31 20:03:46 NOTICE[989]: chan_sip.c:11045
handle_request_register: Registration from '<sip:575 at 10.10.10.46>'
failed for '67.121.71.120' - Wrong password

When I make the password blank in both sip.conf and SIPxxxxxxxx.cnf
then it registers and works perfectly.  The same phone connects with
a linux based Asterisk at home installation without any problems.

3 Questions:

1) How can I tell the actual password/shared secret the phone is
transmitting to Asterisk.

2) Has anyone had any trouble configuring 7960s with passwords via
the SIPxxxxxxxx.cnf file?

3) Do you think there is a bug in Asterisk that comes out when its
compiled for PowerPC OS X  ?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions too.

Mark Engelhardt

Here is my setup:

I have a Cisco 7960s  running sip image : P003-08-4-00

I am setting the passwords via tftp server and the
SIP<macaddress>.cnf file.

Line 4 on the phone:

Asterisk on OS X :  Asterisk 1.2.10 running on Mac OS X Server 10.4
(tiger)

The portion of the .cnf file:

line4_name: "575"
line4_authname: "575"
line4_password: ""
line4_displayname: "575"
line4_shortname: "575"

Line 1 on the phone:

Asterisk on Linx  Asterisk 1.2.5 running on Linux
line1_name: 701
line1_authname: "701"
line1_password: "password"
line1_displayname: "701"