[asterisk-users] Which IP phones have best voice quality, preferably under $150

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed Nov 1 10:00:39 MST 2006

Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have to buy some IP phones. Previously I have used Grandstream GXP-2000,
> Budgetone 101 and Linksys SPA-841. I always had problems with sound quality
> with all of them, and I was always of the opinion that it were the phones
> which were not good. In GXP-2000 deployment of about 50 phones, some work
> good, some have sound problems like words missing, clicking sounds when
> talking, and some don't work at all (probably defective).
>
> What good phone are out there which will work perfectly and will not be
> expensive. Should be $150 or maximum $200.

The total cost for Cisco phones is fairly high.  The phones can be found
for about the same price as Polycoms, but if you want to be LEGAL, the
SIP firmware can cost over $100.  If you do not want to be legal, then
you can get the firmware for under $20.  Cisco phones generally support PoE.

I recommend Polycom phones.  You can find them for well under $200, they
include SIP firmware.  PoE adapters can be purchased for $20 - $40 each
if you need PoE.  Polycom does not provide firmware to end users, you
need to get it from the place you bought your Polycom from.  There is at
least one web site that you can get "greymarket" firmware for Polycom
phones.

Polycom SoundPoint 301 has a low quality display, no handsfree
microphone (for speakerphone).  But it works just fine as a basic phone.
  People have said that the 301's sound quality is less than the other
Polycom phones.  You can also get the 430, which is supposed to have a
handsfree microphone and a better display.  I've not used them.  Also
look at the 501s for a higher end phone.  You should be able to get the
301s for well under $150 (I've heard people say they have gotten the
301s for $120)  and the 501s for well under $200.  I assume the  430s
are somewhere in between.