[asterisk-users] Snom or Cisco Phones?

Jessee J Holmes jholmes at atacomm.com
Wed Nov 1 09:44:41 MST 2006

Writing this as a user of VoIP and not a reseller, (meaning off the
record), we really love the Snom phones here as well, I wish the Snom
300's had a bit more functionality (like the Grandstream), and the
Snom 320's and 360's were a little less confusing with their buttons
(aka too many buttons on the keypad for some non-tehcy end users).

But they have terrific functionality and great audio quality in most
office environments, and are very easy to set up and install.
Everyone seems to really love them.

The Cisco phones are nice as well, but IF you decide to go with
Cisco, READ what you are buying and what you are getting before just
blindly buying it (in fact, do this anyways, it's common sense to do
this before buying any product, anywhere). Cisco products normally
don't come with half of the items you need, and unfortunately most
resellers (and Cisco) don't make this too easy to read and
understand. DO NOT buy refurbished Cisco if you want support,
especially since there has been some bogus Cisco voice equipment
shipping lately from some of the certified Cisco resellers/
distributors. Network World had an article on this recently: http://
www.networkworld.com/news/2006/102306counterfeit.html

Cisco may have a great look to their phones and have the design very
well thought out (not to mention the big Cisco name - which is good
enough for some), but they are normally harder to install and
configure and are VERY proprietary. If you buy Cisco, Cisco wants you
to ONLY buy Cisco (for support and marketing reasons).

Snom 320's are a great choice just because these phones mainly
support everything the Snom 360's support (i.e. sidecars) Only main
differences between these two models is that the Snom 360 has the
larger LCD screen as well as newly added XML support.

We have about 50 stations here, some management, some support, some
sales and have pretty much decided as a company to completely use
Snom phones for all of our employees.

Keep in mind, each phone out there will have their specific pro's and
con's, as well as quarks ... seems there is no real "perfect phone"
out there yet. But Snom in my mind, is pretty dang close.

This all of course is just personal opinion from past experience.

Jessee Holmes
Atacomm / Ataractic Corporation
www.atacomm.com
V: 1-877-700-VOIP