[asterisk-users] Which IP phones have best voice quality, preferably under $150

Joe Dennick joe at dennick.net
Wed Nov 1 09:35:26 MST 2006

The quality issues you describe may not be the fault of the individual
phones!  The quality of the PSTN connection, and the hardware through
which it's connected can play as big a part in this scenario.  The
quality of the internal network with 50 IP Phones could also be part of
the problem.

It sounds like cost is a leading factor in purchasing decisions, so if
the same factors applied to building wiring and network equipment, you
could have much bigger problems than just the quality of the individual
phone sets.  Has there been a network study using tools such as Qcheck
to determine whether the LAN is capable of handling 50 IP phones?

What about the server on which Asterisk is running?  Again, with cost
being a factor, is this server capable of supporting the load? Does it
have sufficient memory and capacity to run efficiently?

I would evaluate my infrastructure before I spent more money replacing
50 phones.  I certainly wouldn't want to be in front of the boss's desk
trying to explain why we spent all this money on new phones and the
voice quality still sucks!

Good luck!