[Asterisk-Users] Recent debian packages?

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon May 29 23:53:17 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 08:07 +0200, Attilla de Groot wrote:
> It may have been 2 years since I worked with Debian on production
> systems, but in my experience there are alot of unstable packages in
> unstable. So it's a bad advice to run unstable on production systems.

the debian stable, testing, unstable, experimental branches mean
different things on different systems.  The arm series for example
testing is generally really unstable and may not work, infact you may
end up with package conflicts.  However testing on x86 is generally
pretty stable.  This is admitted to by the package maintainers of the
various platforms.

On the x86 line stable is really stable, testing is fairly stable,
unstable is questionable, depending on what exactly you have installed
you may or may not experience package conflicts and experimental is most
likely going to generate package conflicts.

Also note that debian doesnt officially give out security updates for
anything but stable.  So if you dont use stable you wont get updates to
any packages that arent in the stable tree from security.debian.org.
This may or may not matter in your infrastructure (for example if the
only network service is asterisk and you build from source you wouldnt
get any updates anyway).

With that said getting the source and building it is fairly painless on
debian.  Assuming that you have a sane build environment that is.
tasksel may help you there if you arent quite sure what all is required.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378