[Asterisk-Users] mpg123 or asterisk

Vahan Yerkanian vahan at arminco.com
Fri May 26 23:16:38 MST 2006

Erick Perez wrote:
> should I use mpg123 with asterisk 1.2.7 or should i use the native
> player asterisk has?
> the target machine will receive heavy load.

mpg123 was used back when asterisk didn't have native format support. If
you are expecting heavy load, the native format is the way to go. You
might decide not to use mp3 format at all, recompressing your MoH files
using sox to the formats you gonna use, such as .al, .ul, .gsm, or leave
it at .sln to cut the decoding leg only.

This way you won't spend expensive CPU power on mp3 decoding and mpg123
processes.

> also, has anyone succedded in compiling mpg123 in a dual core pentium
> with centos 4.3 ?

No clue here, I've been running Asterisk on FreeBSD systems since 1.0.9.

HTH,
Vahan