[Asterisk-Users] Snom firmwares suck <--additional datapoint to consider

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Fri May 26 07:14:52 MST 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Rich Adamson wrote:

>> You mean that 3Com switches are not to be regarded as decent switches? At
>> least Snom could have put some remark then that you need a certain brand of
>> switches.  If 3Com is not good enough for the phones I would have bought
>> different phones.
>
> Blaming the 3com switch is very likely to be the wrong root cause. High
> probability the 3com was not configured properly for the phone.

The 3C16479 is a non-configurable, non-managed 3Com workgroup gbit
switch. It is directly connected to the asterisk server with one cable,
the phones are connected to the other ports.  There is nothing to
configure on the switch.

Maybe I need to change my opinion, it's not only the firmware that sucks,
if the ethernet chip on the phone is this oversensitive I guess
the same would apply for the hardware.

There is just no valid reason why the phone would need to lockup or reboot
even if the network connection would be problematic, no matter what.
That is just poor design, not a feature.