[Asterisk-Users] Glueing apps and phones together

Julian Lyndon-Smith asterisk at dotr.com
Thu May 25 07:53:07 MST 2006

We have about 50 agents making outbound and receiving inbound calls via
queues. All Agents have Cisco 7940 phones, using SIP (the app and the
phones are on separate LANS).

I was wanting find a better way to glue our application (which runs on
MS Terminal Server 2003) to our * system. At the moment we are using the
Asterisk Manager and astmanproxy.

What I was thinking was using the new res_jabber module, a wildfire
server and the ipworks jabber activex. Thus, * and our app can send a
messages to each other via the wildfire server.

However, there is a little thought running through my mind about
embedding a SIP activeX control into our app, and having * talk directly
to the app. When our app receives or makes a call, it is automatically
diverted / referred / transferred to the cisco phone.

I presume there are loads of people who have already achieved this type
of glue, but was wondering if they would care to share ;)

Just looking for pointers, guidance or advice on the two methods.

TIA

Julian.