[Asterisk-Users] connecting asterisk to hylafax via t38modem: is it possible?

Thomas Kenyon digium at sanguinarius.co.uk
Thu May 25 01:23:03 MST 2006

Giorgio Incantalupo wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use Hylafax without a modem. Is it possible to use
> t38modem to make Hylafax send and receive fax via Asterisk?
> If yes, how? I'm searching on internet but still haven't found
> anything useful.

Afaik, not yet, Steve Underwood who writes on the Dev mailing list is
doing a lot of work regarding integrating T.38, at the moment. The
nearest thing you can get is his Iaxmodem, which will set up a
/dev/device softmodem for hylafax to treat as a modem and parse the data
to asterisk though an iax channel (very clever stuff) where it can be
outputted through any other channel  in your dialplan. (or conversely
the other way for incoming faxes.)

I've used it extensively at home, and it works well. About to install it
at a site.