[Asterisk-Users] uClibc and g729

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Wed May 24 15:47:11 MST 2006

Hello Everyone,

	Here is the deal with AstLinux 0.4 and codec_g729a.so:

	Previous versions of AstLinux (like most Linux systems) were created
with the most common Linux C library - glibc (GNU libc).  glibc offers
the most application compatibility in Linux systems.

	However, glibc is not well suited for small, embedded systems like
AstLinux.  It tends to have rather large dynamic libraries.  It also
uses quite a bit more memory when running.

	Starting with AstLinux 0.4, the decision was made to start using
uclibc.  uclibc is an alternative C library for small, embedded Linux
systems.  It uses significantly less disk space and memory than the
traditional glibc.

	codec_g729a.so is a binary for Asterisk provided by Digium that
provides support for the g729 codec within Asterisk.  g729a is a
patented codec that requires royalties to the patent holders to use.
Digium has done all of this work for the benefit of the Asterisk
community.  Unfortunately, they are not able to provide the source code
for this codec (for obvious reasons).

	Because of all of these issues, Digium is the only practical entity
that can create a legal, working, G729 codec binary that will work in
current releases of AstLinux.

	I recently asked if it would be possible for Digium to compile a
codec_g729 module against uClibc.  Kevin Fleming responded and said that
if they would sell 200 licenses, it would be worth it.

	How does that break down?  $2000 (200*10).  Here is what I am looking for:

1) If you use AstLinux (or other uClibc based systems) and have
purchased g729 licenses, read on.

2) If you use AstLinux (or other uClibc based systems) and are planning
on purchasing g729 licenses, read on.

	I have setup a petition online.  If either of these two points applies
to you, please sign it and provide the number of g729 licenses you have
or are looking to purchase:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ug729a/

P.S. -  Anyone else who uses and loves uClibc (on gentoo, for instance)
will also benefit from this.

Thanks!

--
Kristian Kielhofner