[Asterisk-Users] USB headsets?

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Wed May 24 01:29:26 MST 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 10:16, El Flynn said:
> jan.sarin at securia.se wrote:
>>
>> We have some laptop soundcards that are really bad and I would be glad
>> if you could share your experiences when changing to a USB headset
>> instead of using the built in soundcard in your computer.
>>

> Well, IMO if the soundcards are already crap to start out with, there's no
> way a
> fancy-schmancy USB headset -- or any other headset, for that matter --
> will
> sound good when plugged in to the laptop. Because, remember, it's the
> soundcard
> that generates the audio and sends it out the heaphone port.
>
> Flynn

Not true... The USB driver generates a stream which is sent to the USB
headset, which then makes it in to sound.

The soundcard has nothing to do with that.
(Otherwise, how can they work on soundcard-less machines, like my old DELL?)

If the source is bad (for instance the crappy soundcard) then the USB
headset won't make a difference.

I have a logitech USB headset and a labtec USB headset, and love both. The
Logitech has better audio though, so when using it to listen to music,
etc., you'd better be looking at something similar.

Or get a USB audio-device with input/output jacks, so you can plug in
whatever you want...
--
Francesco