[Asterisk-Users] Sip.conf: domain=huh?

Brent Torrenga lists at torrenga.com
Tue May 23 08:21:18 MST 2006

So I saw mention of a way to allow dialing using SIP URI's on Dave McNett's
site at http://slacker.com/~nugget/projects/asterisk/page7

Wow, awesome, I can call anywhere now. However, I think there is a more
elegant way of figuring out whether or not the local * server should handle
a given domain. Specifically, Dave compares a series of domains within
extensions.conf to figure out how to handle the call. I would rather use
something like the function CHECKSIPDOMAIN - this feels more appropriate.

So, CHECKSIPDOMAIN uses the domain=blah entries in sip.conf. However,
contrary to the docs, it would seem that one MUST associate a context with
each domain= entry. My * complains otherwise with a warning upon load that
the domains are not associated with any contexts, and when I run "sip show
domains" at the CLI I get "SIP Domain support not enabled."

I am hesitant to set that up, too. Does anyone understand the security
implications of domain= entries in sip.conf? Especially since I want to use
these entries only for deciding how to handle outbound calls. I guess what I
am saying is that since this is for outbound calls, and I need to specify a
context, how does this affect incoming calls and the specified context from
a security point of view? What will domain= change when trying to
authenticate  calls?

Sincerely,

Brent A. Torrenga
brent.torrenga at torrenga.com