[Asterisk-Users] FAX and Asterisk

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon May 22 16:05:22 MST 2006

Rene Nelson wrote:

> I want to accept faxes via SIP/IAX2 (yes I've read the posts that it
> isnt reccomended).  My PBX is 100% Virtual with the exception of one
> IAX connection to bring in the calls from another * box, I have no
> phone hardware.  I am interested in doing autodetect fax to email.  I
> have found all kinds of posts to this or that, but all seem to
> reference Asterisk 1.0.x or 1.1.x I am running 1.2.x.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this solution up and
> running?

The right thing to do first would be to contact your SIP/IAX2 provider
and find out if your connection to them will always be jitter-free (and
this is not likely to be the case).  If it will be then you can do
faxing to their equipment.  If not (and this is probably the case), then
you will be wasting a lot of time faxing that way and you should
probably just get a fax account with an on-line fax service.

Lee.