[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Proxy

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Mon May 22 03:47:46 MST 2006

Hi Paul,

Asterisk often uses a proxy for its calls. What kind of proxy do you
have?

Also, If you have the server setup for nat=yes in the [general] area
then ALL calls will get nat'd regardless of their locality. The best
place to put this stement is in the relevant part of the sip.conf file
that deals with the devices you want to have nat'd.

If you only want to nat devices from your office LAN but not devices or
service providers out on the Internet then you need to do a bit more
configuration.

I've pasted my config file below for your perusal. I have phone handsets
on the LAN but my phone provider is on the Internet. I don't nat
internally but do externally.

; SIP Configuration for Asterisk
;
[general]
port = 5060                       ; Port to bind to
bindaddr = 192.168.201.15         ; Address to bind to
localnet = 192.168.201.0/24       ; Internal NETWORK address
;externhost = g7ltt.dyndns.org     ; Address for NAT'd SIP messages
;externrefresh = 10
externip = 68.196.143.250
nat = no
srvlookup = yes                   ; Enable DNS lookups
context = from-sip-external
dtmfmode = inband
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
allow = g726
allow = gsm
allow = ilbc
tos = lowdelay
canreinvite = no
pedantic = no
videosupport = yes
callerid = 9738281625
qualify = yes
realm=g7ltt.dyndns.org

; put external SIP provider registration here
register => user:@sip.broadvoice.com:password:user at sip.broadvoice.com

[2201] ; Mark's MDA
type=friend
host=dynamic
context=from-sip-internal
username=2201
secret=blah
dtmfmode=rfc2833
mailbox=2201
disallow=all
allow=gsm

[2202] ; WiFi cordless
type=friend
host=dynamic
context=from-sip-internal
username=2202
secret=blah
dtmfmode=rfc2833
mailbox=2202
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1

[2203] ;
type=friend
host=dynamic
context=from-sip-internal
username=2203
secret=blah
dtmfmode=rfc2833
mailbox=2203
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1

[sip.broadvoice.com] ; main outgoing provider
user=phone
username=9738281625
type=peer
secret=password
nat=yes
insecure=very
host=sip.broadvoice.com
port=5060
fromuser=9738281625
fromdomain=sip.broadvoice.com
dtmfmode=inband
context=enicommunications
canreinvite=no
authname=9738281625
qualify=1000
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=g726
allow=ilbc

You'll notice that nat=no is set in my [general] area. That means that
unless I say otherwise all devices are considered local and so no nat
required. In  the [sip.broadvoice.com] area I turn on the nat. I think
that in your case you do the reverse of this.

I'm on the end of a cable modem and so I *should* use the externhost
settings as my number could change dynamicly but as I've found that it
never does save myself the DNS lookup.

Hope this helps.

Mark