[Asterisk-Users] Which is the best fax-modem for testing ?

Olivier Krief olivier.krief at gmail.com
Sun May 21 11:59:06 MST 2006

2006/5/21, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org>:

> Lee Howard wrote:
>
> > Olivier Krief wrote:
> >
> >> For example, it seems that Brother 8360P uses Super G3 mode.
> >> Is there a fax-modem offering such capability so that I could easily
> >> check if I still cannot  hangup when I enable or disable Super G3 mode
> ?
> >

> > MultiTech 5634-series and MainPine RockForce fax modems (Agere
> > chipset) support SuperG3.  You'd run these with HylaFAX, for example,
> > and not Asterisk.
>
> It is worth pointing out that the V.34 modems have almost no chance of
> achieving V.34 speeds if you go:
>
>         PSTN->analogue line->asterisk->FXS port->modem
>
> if you go
>
>         PSTN->digital line->asterisk->FXS port->modem
>
> performance will depend on the FXS port, and any internal timing issues.
> With a TDM400 card its fairly unlikely to work. With a channel bank
> connected to a port on the same digital card that connects to the PSTN
> chances are high.
>
> The problem with the PSTN->analogue line->asterisk->FXS port->modem path
> is signal degradation through the extra analogue->digital->analogue step
> is too much for V.34. For FAX modems up to V.29 it is no problem. For
> V.17 is tends to work if the port quality is good.
>
> Steve
>
> Hi Steve,

Which fax-modem would you pick to highlight this behaviour ?
I mean :

"If you had to buy a single fax-modem to complement a laptop to demonstrate
a TDM or ToIP system is V.34 or V.17-capable, which fax-modem would you
choose ?"

You launch a shell-script from your laptop and it sends 5 or 6 faxes with
the same content to a given destination (always the same one) at different
speeds or protocols.

Reading destination fax machine's reception report, you can rate each
sending and tell
 what your System Under Test is capable of.

Cheers