[Asterisk-Users] British English voice files are ready fordownload

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Sun May 21 09:35:42 MST 2006

On 21 May 2006, at 16:53, Chris Bagnall wrote:

>> I downloaded the SLIN and I have a couple of remarks.
>> 1) you can't use the SLIN directly on a non-intel machine -
>> you may have to byte swap it first (took me a while to work
>> out why I just got pulse modulated static on my NSLU2 home
>> asterisk! (armv5teb) )
>
> Can you explain in a bit more detail please, or post a link to some
> info on
> this topic? What procedure did you undertake to "byte swap it"?

Oh, sorry.

The Slin files contain the audio data in a 16 bit format, each
sample takes 2 bytes, but the byte order is cpu dependent.

  My home asterisk is running on a linksys NSLU2
(Slug). The CPU in it is an ARM - and it has the reverse byte
order from an x86 system.

I used :
dd  conv=swab
to swap the bytes.

> I'm using the voice prompts on my 2 datacentre machines, and my
> asterisk box
> at home (all intel), so I haven't come across this issue. Thanks
> for the
> warning - I was going to upload the files to a few clients' boxes this
> afternoon (which are all AMD boxes).

You won't have a problem with the slin files on an AMD - or any
x86 box.

Tim.

Tim Panton
tim at mexuar.com