[Asterisk-Users] British English voice files are ready for download

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Sun May 21 08:35:12 MST 2006

On 19 May 2006, at 17:05, Mark Phillips wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> With thanks to Alison Keenan (another Alison!) for the voice, Chris
> Bagnal for converting from 44k wav to sln and finally Terje Elde for
> debugging my HTML code, the British English files are now ready for
> download.
>
> They can be got from http://www.enicomms.com/cutglassivr/
>
> Thanks and don't forget to practice safe IAX ;-}

It is great that there is an extra (British) choice for asterisk sounds.

I downloaded the SLIN and I have a couple of remarks.
1) you can't use the SLIN directly on a non-intel machine -
you may have to byte swap it first (took me a while to work out
why I just got pulse modulated static on my NSLU2 home
asterisk! (armv5teb) )

2) I was surprised to find that I didn't like the results.
This is a purely personal thing, but I found
Alison Keenan's delivery too redolent of a  England that is
gone. I instantly felt like a  child again, being told slowly and
clearly what to do.

The only reason I mention this is so people don't assume that
these new recordings will always be the preferred offering to
systems installed in the UK, it will depend on the image that
a company wishes to present.

Tim.