[Asterisk-Users] Snom firmwares suck

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Fri May 19 06:20:43 MST 2006

Remco Barende wrote:
> Most people seem quite positive about Snom phones, I cannot share this
> opinion.
>
> The displays are dying quite often, and firmware is buggy. I have tried
> every firmware from 4.5 up to 5.x and 6.04 but keep having problems with
> phones locking up or rebooting during an ongoing conversation.
>
> REALLY annoying for a phone that is advertised / targeted as a business
> class phone

Remco,

I have a dozen Snom 360s. One had a defective LCD that would become
garbled after time. Snom support quickly confirmed that this was a known
issue, and my vendor (voipsupply) quickly sent a replacement.

I've never seen any lockups or reboots. I reboot the phones each night
at midnight, just to be safe - try doing that to see if it reduces
problems. I've posted a sample perl cron script at
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+snom to show how.

I use shielded ethernet cables ("STP") everywhere too. Try that - good
grounding may be beneficial. It can't hurt, anyway.

Snom support is pretty responsive. Try emailing support at snom.com; they
have fixed some issues for me (for example, the clock was showing the
wrong time due to daylight savings time problems).

Try using a Grandstream GXP-2000 phone, and you'll see why people like
the Snoms :-)

Hope this helps - let us know if anything makes a difference!

- Mike