[Asterisk-Users] Development news :: Smarter medialess calls!

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri May 19 02:10:22 MST 2006

Friends,
To update you on recent changes in svn trunk, I can inform you that
we now have ever smarter
ways to handle media streams in Asterisk than we do in 1.2 for the
IAX2 and SIP protocols.

* IAX2: Splitting signalling and media apart

Starting with the IAX2 protocol, we now have the ability to transfer
media streams to go directly
between IAX2 servers and keep the signalling path. Before, when
Asterisk did a native transfer
to optimize the IAX2 call path, we lost all tracks of the call and
could not get a CDR. With this
patch, by Mark, we now have a hybrid solution that releases the media
but keeps IAX2 signalling.
This is a very new feature, so I don't expect the various non-
asterisk IAX2 clients out there to
support it yet. When they do, it will mean a huge change in the
number of calls your server can
handle. For now, this optimizes calls in Asterisk IAX2 "clusters".

* SIP: Removing the media immediately, not as an afterthought

Mark and Kevin have been working on various ways to optimize the
setup of a SIP call
where Asterisk has no reason to stay in the media stream. Asterisk
will now setup the
call directly between the two devices instead of accepting the call,
staying in the stream and
then, as a sudden afterthought, send re-invites to release the media
stream.

An additional new feature, inspired by a community patch on the bug
tracker, is that
we now also release calls if SIP INFO dtmf is used. Since the DTMF is
not handled in
the RTP media stream, we can release the call (unless there is
another reason to stay
in the media path, like NAT support).

These changes optimize your Asterisk a great deal and will hopefully
make Asterisk
scale a bit more. Your development team is as always focused on
scaling issues, trying
to go where no software PBX has gone before, explore new telephony
territories...
VoiP trekking... Well, enough of that. Sorry, got sidetracked.

* Asterisk 1.4 - I see a shape, an outline

The work with Asterisk 1.4 is going into the final stages. We are
working hard to commit
the changes that are ready and finalize the 1.4 release. If you visit
the bug tracker, you already
see patches that we've marked "post 1.4" since we feel they're not
ready. The next release is
not that far away, so it's not a big thing. We won't wait over 1 year
like we did between 1.0 and
1.2.

This weekend, I'm leaving for my Training in New York. Next training
is in Stockholm,
Sweden in June, after that we're launching the Asterisk SIP
Masterclass in Chicago in
July - with a gold team teaching: Ed Guy, Terry Wilson and myself.

While I'm travelling around, you can spend all your free time testing
Asterisk 1.4 for us.
We need your help, now. Download svn trunk and test in your environment!

On behalf of the community - thank you for testing!

SIP greetings!
/Olle

---
* Olle E. Johansson - oej at edvina.net