[Asterisk-Users] E&M and Dial tone

Bart Fisher bhfisher at icpage.com
Thu May 18 13:03:37 MST 2006

I'm a bit confused about how to handle this.

I have Asterisk sitting in the middle between a Qwest Long Distance T1
(Voice T1, D4, SF, AMI) and an external voice mail PC using a Dialogic
D/240SC-T1 card.

The Qwest T1 originally was connected to the Dialogic card directly.  The
signaling was set to E&M Wink Start because Dialogic used this as its
default settings, so it just worked without fiddling.

Before Asterisk:

Incoming Qwest calls would wink the Dialogic card and then send DTMF to the
Dialogic after it winked back.
Outgoing calls from Dialogic would come off-hook, wait for wink. At this
point Qwest would send dial tone.  The Dialogic has
call supervision and "wait for dial tone" enabled.

With the Asterisk in the middle, Incoming from Qwest are directed to
Dialogic and are answered correctly.
The problem is when the dialogic card wants to dial out, we only get the
wink Asterisk - no dial tone.  The dialogic reports this as
a failure and hangs-up

If I remove the Dial Tone Detection option on the Dialogic and add pauses
before the dial string, all works OK.

My question is how can I emulate the Qwest functionality and provide a dial
tone after the wink?

TIA Bart

My zaptel.conf:

# Span 1: TE4/0/1 "TE410P (PCI) Card 0 Span 1" AMI/D4 RED
span=1,0,0,d4,ami
e&m=1-24

# Span 2: TE4/0/2 "TE410P (PCI) Card 0 Span 2" AMI/D4 RED
span=2,1,0,d4,ami
e&m=25-48

My zapata.conf

; Span 1: TE4/0/1 "TE410P (PCI) Card 0 Span 1"
; This T1 is attached to in-house VM System
;
signalling =>em_w
context=from-internal
group = 1
channel => 1-24

; Span 2: TE4/0/2 "TE410P (PCI) Card 0 Span 2"
; This T1 is attached to Qwest LD
;
signalling =>em_w
context=from-pstn