[Asterisk-Users] Quad BRI card

Craig Guy cguy at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 18 08:47:49 MST 2006

Any device to legally connect to the PSTN in Australia must be approved by
the regulatory body.  A process that usually costs at least $20,000 and only
allows the permit holder to sell the product for conneciton to the pstn.  It
is a very high barrier to entry for the Australian market.  There is a guy
in Victoria who certified the Fritz! card and charges $400 each for them.
Paralell imports are not allowed to be connected.

Some manufacturers do the right thing by certifying the card themselves
(Eicon for example).  Other manufacturers such as AVM leave it to the
distributor to certify the card for the local market.

The difference is that I can buy an Eicon card off eBay from the US or
Europe and legally connect it to the PSTN in Australia as the card comes
from the factory carrying the regulartory approval mark.  If i was to buy
AVM, Digium or Sangoma from another country I'm out of luck cause it doesn't
carry the approval sticker that the Australian distributor puts on it.

I can understand both points of view - as a customer I want a competitive
market so I get value for money.  As a distributor I want an exclusive
territory so I can jack up the prices to whatever the market will bear
without being undercut by nasty competition.

Craig