[Asterisk-Users] small form factor WAS soekris hadware

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Thu May 18 07:19:09 MST 2006

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Thursday 18 May 2006 08:07, Darrick Hartman wrote:
>
>> Don't attempt to use a Digium or other FXO and FXS card on a soekris
>> board, especially if you plan on using a full-featured distribution like
>> CentOS (which is what AAH uses).  See more below...
>>

> I read below, but you don't explain why not to use an FXS/FXO card with a
> Sokeris board if I'm planning on using a full-featured distro.  You only say
> that the EPIA systems are "better."
>
> Can you elaborate?

Yes.  There are several reasons, at least for his situation.

First, the case provided with the Soekris is too small to house a Digium
TDM card.
Second, there is no easy way to provide the additional power needed for
FXS modules.
Third, the board is really underpowered.  For about the same money you
can get an EPIA PD 10000, 256 or 512MB of ram, a compact case and have a
system that is much more capable.

I've been using the EPIA PD as my firewall and office Asterisk system
for about a year.  I currently have Slackware 10.2 installed with a
Digium TDM11b card, Asterisk 1.2.7.1, iaxmodem and hylafax.  It also has
OpenVPN running.  It just plain works.  I use the g729 codec for my voip
calls.  ulaw internally, so the box does some transcoding.

Darrick

--
Darrick Hartman
DJH Solutions, LLC