[Asterisk-Users] Re: Ringing indication not working as expected

Sebastian Kayser mls+asterisk-users at skayser.de
Thu May 18 03:45:34 MST 2006

* Sebastian Kayser <mls+asterisk-users at skayser.de> wrote:
> are there any caveats regarding ringing indication with Asterisk?
>
> I have got an asterisk installation with a quadBRI driven by BRIstuff.
> Internal phones are various snoms (320 / 360) connected via SIP and
> Idefisk softphones connected via IAX2. Outgoing calls are "routed"
> through the Zap interfaces.
>
> When i set up the action for an external extension as
>
> Dial(Zap/g2/<number>,60,R)
>
> or
>
> Dial(Zap/g2/<number>,60)
>
> and initiate an outgoing call, Asterisk tells me that the called party
> is ringing (Zap/4-1 is ringing) but there is no ringing indicated to the
> calling party. No matter whether the calling party is a snom hardphone
> or an idefisk softphone.

I tried to narrow down the problem. My installation looks like this

PSTN <-- 3 x BRI --> POTS (NEC) <-- 3 x BRI --> Asterisk
                      ^                             ^
                      |                             |
                POTS telephone sets              snom SIP phones

With no options set in the Dial command, i.e. Dial(Zap/g2/<number>,60),
the ringing behaviour is as follows.

- snom -> snom - OK
- snom -> POTS telephone set - OK
- snom -> PSTN - NOK

OK = ringing is signalled to the calling party as soon as Asterisk
indicates it on the console (... is ringing).

NOK = no ringing is signalled to the calling party _although_ Asterisk
indicates it on the console.

So although the Zap interface is used for both types of "external" calls
(snom -> POST, snom -> PSTN) the ringing indication to my snoms fails
for calls to the PSTN.

Any ideas on how to further debug / troubleshoot this behaviour?

- Sebastian