[Asterisk-Users] Which is the best fax-modem for testing ?

Olivier Krief olivier.krief at gmail.com
Tue May 16 00:21:57 MST 2006

2006/5/15, Rich Adamson <radamson at routers.com>:

> > Which fax-modem would you pick if you had to test fax capabilities ?
> >
> The fax modem is not really the issue with asterisk. By far, the
> majority of existing analog fax machines installed and being sold today
> will function just fine with asterisk.

Hi Rich,

I got problems connecting  a Brother 8360P  (
http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_page/50670/s_level/17020/s_product/FAX8360PU1
)
to a Digium TDM400P card on a production system.

This fax is running OK when directly plugged to PSTN but cannot seem to
hangup when connected to Digium TDM400P card.

We prepare deployment on a separate system and I cannot unplug this fax
machine and move it to our test environment (which is on a different
location).
I'm doomed to try to reproduce the bug with another fax machine.
And as you can guess, we were unsuccessful yet to reproduce it with the
couple of (entry level) fax machines I could get a hand on.

So I was telling myself : "what if I could buy the most inclusive fax-modem,
connect it to a PC, and run a bunch of test scripts to gather useful
information on both production and preparation systems ?".

For example, it seems that Brother 8360P uses Super G3 mode.
Is there a fax-modem offering such capability so that I could easily check
if I still cannot  hangup when I enable or disable Super G3 mode ?

Ideally, I would run a batch script with a fax-modem-equiped-PC to gather
compliance inputs against V34 and other fax standards.

Your advice underlining A200D PCM switching capability is very relevant,
anyway, as it shows a way to prove a fax issue can be solved changing or
configuring an analog TDM board.

Cheers