[Asterisk-Users] Eicon Diva - problems building new v3 melware driver

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Mon May 15 12:27:41 MST 2006

> On Mon, May 15, 2006 20:04, Tzafrir Cohen said:
> > For starters, let's remove some clutter
> >
> > On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 06:47:54PM +0200, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> >> Hi Armin!
> >>
> >> I have problems on debian sarge with standard 2.6.8-2-386 kernel.
> >>
> >> I've installed the packages:
> >>  kernel-headers-2.6.8-2
> >>  kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386
> >>  kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386
> >>  kernel-kbuild-2.6-3
> >>  kernel-source-2.6.8
> >
> > If you have kernel-source , you don't normally need kernel-headers , and
> > vice-versa. Most modules will simply build with the kernel-headers
> > package . It also installs in a way that is already laid as an extracted
> > source tree . /lib/modules/<version>/build is a symlink to
> > /usr/src/kernel-headers-<version> .
>
> Hi Armin!
>
> Will it be sufficient to only have kernel-headers isntead of full sources?
>  Digium and Sangoma zaptel cards for example only requires the
> kernel-headers.

I did not test that yet, but the sources itself are not needed of course.
The divas4linux-melware package uses (unlike the eicon package) the kernels
build system without changing the sources.
So if the installed header-package provides the possibility to build a
kernel module using the kernels Makefile, then it is enough.
As far as I know these header package really provide the more than the
headers: the Makefiles, scripts and config files.

Armin