[Asterisk-Users] Plain Text Passwords for IAX and SIP

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Mon May 15 05:10:38 MST 2006

On 12 May 2006, at 19:21, Me wrote:

> Can someone tell me if passwords are sent in plain text when using
> IAX?
>
> I have been told already that SIP automatically encrypts the password?
>
> Anyone know of some good Asterisk security links, docs, articles?
>
> Thanks!

There are 4 options (as configured in iax.conf)
	no password - access checked on IP address/subnet
	plaintext - deprecated, but I think it still works
	md5 - password is hashed with a challenge, so it is (relatively)
		immune to snooping/replay attacks.
	rsa - based on shared private keys (ie the initial key exchange isn't
		asterisk's problem)

The MD5 option suits for most purposes.

Tim Panton
tim at mexuar.com