[Asterisk-Users] Re: DUNDi and Voicemail

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Sat May 13 17:26:08 MST 2006

> > On 11:29, Sat 13 May 06, Aaron Daniel wrote:
> >> Unless I did something wrong when we did that originally, if the
> voicemail
> >> server's NFS share dropped out, the main call servers froze while
> trying
> >> to access the voicemail share.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Possible, I dont know.
> > I always make sure my nfs servers are 100% up by clustering
> > them using HA and coda etc.
> > NFS is not only handling the voicemail store, but also the
> > data for a lot of other stuff so I never (cept for my mp3
> > and movies at home) deploy a single, standalone nfs server.
> >
> > There are some options on mounting nfs, maybe you can try
> > soft.
> >
> > Here is my brainwave:
> > make the complete directory structure for the voicemail
> > boxes on the asterisk box. Mount the nfs on
> > /var/spool/asterisk.
> > That way, when the nfs goes down your system will still have
> > the dir structure so asterisk will stay responsive.
> >
> > OR......
> > make your nfs server HA ;)
> >

> Just curious, but using NFS like that, do you allow your main call servers
> handle voicemail or do you have a specific voicemail box for that?  My
> boss's view on voicemail is that it's not mission critical for the phone
> system, we're mainly concerned about the level of uncertainty.  It's
> better to have the phone system up and capable of dialing 911 with no
> voicemail, than lose the voicemail and risk losing actual call volume,
> plus the more HA the non-critical parts get, the more it costs.
>

> --
> Aaron Daniel
> Computer Systems Technician
> Sam Houston State University
> amdtech at shsu.edu
> (936) 294-4198

Guys,

Check Mantis issue 0004236 and issue 0004371.  Both have patches for using
IAX to send MWI across a cluster from a stand-alone VM server to
registration servers.  Also I have Digium working on adding this feature to
stable code.

I have used the NFS share with success, only remote mount
/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail and if the NFS drops, you only loose the
ability to check for new messages, asterisk continues to function fine on
the registration servers.  I do have a need for MWI over a remote TCP/IP
server and NFS is too insecure, would really like the ability over an IAX
channel.  Good luck.

JR