[Asterisk-Users] DUNDi and Voicemail

Aaron Daniel amdtech at shsu.edu
Sat May 13 10:45:01 MST 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Michiel van Baak wrote:

> On 11:29, Sat 13 May 06, Aaron Daniel wrote:
>> Unless I did something wrong when we did that originally, if the voicemail
>> server's NFS share dropped out, the main call servers froze while trying
>> to access the voicemail share.
>
> Hi,
>
> Possible, I dont know.
> I always make sure my nfs servers are 100% up by clustering
> them using HA and coda etc.
> NFS is not only handling the voicemail store, but also the
> data for a lot of other stuff so I never (cept for my mp3
> and movies at home) deploy a single, standalone nfs server.
>
> There are some options on mounting nfs, maybe you can try
> soft.
>
> Here is my brainwave:
> make the complete directory structure for the voicemail
> boxes on the asterisk box. Mount the nfs on
> /var/spool/asterisk.
> That way, when the nfs goes down your system will still have
> the dir structure so asterisk will stay responsive.
>
> OR......
> make your nfs server HA ;)

Just curious, but using NFS like that, do you allow your main call servers
handle voicemail or do you have a specific voicemail box for that?  My
boss's view on voicemail is that it's not mission critical for the phone
system, we're mainly concerned about the level of uncertainty.  It's
better to have the phone system up and capable of dialing 911 with no
voicemail, than lose the voicemail and risk losing actual call volume,
plus the more HA the non-critical parts get, the more it costs.

--
Aaron Daniel
Computer Systems Technician
amdtech at shsu.edu