[Asterisk-Users] S100-FX v2 audio quality

Ben Holt ben at emediastudios.com
Sat May 13 07:12:56 MST 2006

Gareth Blades wrote:
> I just bought a couple of these units. It seems to work fine but I could
> not really test it as the phones were too close together so could not
> get a clear idea of the call quality.
>
> Phoning comedian mail seemed fine and certenly acceptible considering
> the gsm codec was being used.

Thank-you for the feedback.

I notice the audio quality as white background noise, even during the
dial tone or the silent period after dialing and before ringing.  I
don't believe it is codec related as I haven't noticed a difference when
trying different ones.  Adjusting the audio gain didn't seem to help.

As an aside, with regards to audio gain it took me a while to realise
their "handset in" and "handset out" setting options were the opposite
of what I thought.  "handset in" is the audio gain setting on the audio
going in to the S100-FX from the handset (what I would have called
'handset out' or 'in from handset') and "handset out" is the audio gain
setting on the audio going out of the S100-FX to the handset (what I
would have called 'handset in' or 'out to handset').

> One minor annoyance is that it is configured with an absolute setting
> for the registry interval and does not pay any attention to what
> asterisk says. You therefore need to make sure it does not exceed the
> asterisk setting otherwise you get continuous asterisk warnings.

Would the registry interval be what they call the "register ttl"
setting?  I haven't tried changing mine, but from the configuration page
it appears to be adjustable.

If you're unable to change yours you might want to confirm that you have
the most recent firmware.  When I emailed x100p asking about the most
recent firmware this is the link they sent:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiries.

The latest firmware is at:
http://www.x100p.com/support_doc/S100-FX_IAX_149002.bin