[Asterisk-Users] Speex fans?

Andrew Kirch akirch at allthingsit.com
Fri May 12 06:22:01 MST 2006

connections,
> and Speex seems to work the best, so far - but Speex seems oddly
> unpopular.
>
> Can anyone share their experiences with Speex (good and bad)? Is
anyone
> using it in a production environment?
>
> I like the variable bit rate and packet loss concealment features...
>

> - Mike

I believe the tradeoff is that though it's compressed it uses a bit more
bandwidth and a bit more CPU.  Because of the redundancy to remove chop,
it has greater overhead on almost all counts.  I have no issue using it,
and frequently use it for asterisk <> asterisk trunking where bandwidth
is insufficient for uLaw.

Andrew