[Asterisk-Users] PSTN Incoming call on real line disrupts VoIP call over DSL circuit - EXPLAINED

Hadar Pedhazur hadar at unorthodox.com
Tue May 9 11:14:17 MST 2006

I combined my reply to both Alex and Joe into this one note
:-)

Alex Robar wrote:
 > I'm still curious as to WHY it's getting a new IP
 > everytime an incoming POTS call comes in. If I were you,
 > I'd be asking Bellsouth why this happens instead of
 > getting a static IP. A static IP may not even solve your
 > issue too. If the problem is that a POTS call disconnects
 > the modem and causes PPPoE authentication to re-occur,
 > then you'll still see a VoIP call disconnect when this
 > happens, even if the same IP is received when the DSL
 > connection is re-established.

I agree with your assessment. I will certainly have him do
that. That said, I believe that a static IP will still solve
the problem (albeit not "correctly"), because the receiving
audio continues to work, so as long as the one side is
finding the other, even though the session may be
disconnected and restarted, a static IP will still be found
correctly on the new session.

Joe Greco wrote:
 > No, a static IP address isn't likely to solve the real
 > problem.

 > What's probably happening is that the transitions on the
 > line are causing havoc with the DSL, and the DSL modem is
 > restarting the session.  This is not supposed to happen,
 > but sometimes does.  Have him call Bellsouth and tell them
 > his Internet stops working when he picks up or hangs up
 > the phone.  They'll most likely get it fixed.

 > ... JG

See above, I am sure you are both correct.

Thanks!