[Asterisk-Users] Many music on hold files

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Tue May 9 09:33:58 MST 2006

A feature we're often asked for in our ITSP product is to allow
customers to upload their own music on hold, or to have it recorded for
them by a recording studio with the latest news, weather, etc,
punctuated by "Welcome to <customer>, please hold".

Since there may be thousands or tens of thousands of customers, and
perhaps 10% of customers may want this feature with a couple of music on
hold files each, there could easily be hundreds or even thousands of
music on hold classes. Having all those mpg123 processes running is not
really an option.

To further complicate matters, there may be many Asterisk machines. The
music on hold directory can be NFS mounted. However, we'd prefer not to
have to update musiconhold.conf on each then tell each Asterisk to
reload the file. Something database driven such as realtime would be nice.

Can anyone please suggest a workable solution for this?

Something like:

SetMusicOnHoldFile(/path/to/file.wav)

where the file was accessed only as needed, rather than an mpg123
process running all the time, would be ideal. This way our FastAGI
daemon can look up the database at the start of the call, and set the
correct file from an NFS mount.

--
Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,