[Asterisk-Users] *.conf utilities for Asterisk

Ryan Amos ramos at finetooth.com
Mon May 8 13:24:26 MST 2006

I personally just use some custom perl scripts to parse a homemade
config file containing lines, MAC addresses of phones, group lines and
names for everyone (and several binary flags for specific features.) The
perl scripts parse the config files, merge them with my templates and
write the resulting files to disk. For any given phone, the only
information you *really* need is the MAC address and what lines it is
subscribed to.

It actually doesn't take too long if you're even remotely handy with
perl. I find that most pre-made asterisk configuration packages are too
limited for general use. There are a myriad of applications you can use
Asterisk for, and almost no 2 users will have the exact same setup. The
asterisk config files are actually really well thought out and very easy
to parse/rewrite with small perl scripts.

-Ryan