[Asterisk-Users] asterisk management interface

Cosmin Prund cosmin at adicomsoft.ro
Mon May 8 00:41:13 MST 2006

You can't possibly read conf files and present them to the user in a
web-based form because of the complexity of the data in those file. Take
the "extensions" configuration file for an example (as this is probably
the most complex one). Settings in this file might specify a simple
mapping between extensions and physical phones but it might as well
include other things. Ex: dialing 500 on my PBX will reboot the server!
Dialing 199 will ring two phones. You might also have IVR's in a an
extensions.conf and very complex call-handling logic based on almost
anything you can think of. There's plain simply no way of mapping that
wealth of info into some structured form into a web page!

What I think is a better idea is to store ALL your info into a database
and re-generate the configuration files whenever that data changes. You
can get a very customizable system in place this way but, unless your
needs are somewhat different you might be better off using one of the
pre-built systems.