[Asterisk-Users] FOP flash panel: how to reload config files when running

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sun May 7 08:17:23 MST 2006

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 08:44:41AM -0400, Doug Lytle wrote:
> >>This is incorrect.  You can just send it the HUP (Hangup) signal and it
> >>will reload it's configuration files.
> >
> >Isn't that what HUP does? :)
> >
> No,
>
> HUP sends the Hang UP signal, causing an application to reload/re-read
> it's configs without ending the application.  A  TERM causes will KILL it.

Actually the name "Hang UP" is misleading here. SIGHUP basically tells a
terminal application that its terminal has been hung up. Normally such a
program should terminate, because you wouldn't want to leave a stale
program running (see also nohup(1) ). By convention X programs behave
basically the same on SIGHUP. Although their "hangup" is really the
closing of the connection to the X server.

Daemons have no controlling terminal normally. So SIGHUP is meaningless
for them. For some strange reason, that signal was abused to tell
programs with no terminal to re-read their configuration.

/me wonders what should happen when you run 'asterisk -c' in a an xterm
and then close that xterm. ;-)

-- Tzafrir