[Asterisk-Users] asterisk hardware

Wilson Pickett spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Sun May 7 00:21:44 MST 2006

> anyone using hardware IAX phones with asterisk ?
> I've googled on this issue and found several hardware phones which
> support IAX protocol, but before paying money I'd like to know more
> about what people experiencing with them.

I have had three of them for neary two years. Here's an "executive review":

They're dirt cheap
You get what you pay for. Some (not all) firmware has clicks and hums.
The later phones look and sound better and are more robust.
You can get the firmware and tweak it (see yahoo group)
Many languages are available since users have the firmware
They do both SIP and IAX, (one at a time via firmware change)
They will speak the ip address, server address etc, good for unsighted
users. Many don't like this and have disabled it (by a firmware tweak)

Conclusion: these phones are excellent for use on the road (assuming a
real Internet connection and not through a proxy as many hotels do). I
wouldn't recommend them for daily intensive use as they aren't built
for it. All of my phones have been continuosly online and working for
over one year.

They are perfect for setting up asterisk, tinkering with firmware and
settings, giving a phone to distant firends or relatives.

Google for yuxin,atcom,   yahoo for PA1688 mailing list
and here
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Phones