[Asterisk-Users] Re: Running Asterisk as non-root

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Fri May 5 16:22:01 MST 2006

> > If you run Asterisk as non root, you may have problems installing G729
> > licenses. The digium registration utility has certain hard coded stuff, and
> > doesn't behave well when things aren't installed in the standard location.

Good point. However, in the chrooted environment there is no need to
make any changes to any paths or recompile asterisk. Asterisk thinks
it's dealing with /var/lib/whatever while in reality it's accessing
/usr/local/asterisk/var/lib/whatever.

While I do not use g929, I don't think you would have a problem with
the license install as long as you run the installation in the
chrooted environment as well:

chroot /usr/local/asterisk license-installation-script

I don't have time to write up the steps to chroot asterisk, but if
anyone is interested then I will tonight.

--Luki