[Asterisk-Users] Can I recreate a Fax from a recorded file?

Alejandro Vargas alejandro.anv at gmail.com
Fri May 5 02:07:03 MST 2006

2006/5/5, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org>:
> In most cases, forensic analysis of the audio from another machine would
> easily show it was a fake. It would lack tell-tale fingerprints of the
> true path, unless it was done with extreme care. Certainly using exactly
> the same model of FAX machine that sent the genuine FAX would be a must.
> Not just for the vendor information it sends, but for the fine details
> in how its modems behave. To pass of the altered fax as being from the
> original sender would require careful control of the DSP.

People must realize that fax is not a secure method to send
information. There are protocols created to solve the legal problems,
that uses digital signs, standard formats, and relies in a 3d party
entity that certificates that the info was sent, recived and red,
logging the exact times. These methods are actually used by many
busines to send price listings, budgets, buy orders, invoices, bank
money transfers, etc. all automatcaly and electronicaly. A stock
system can detect a low count of some products, it sends price-listing
request to the providers and waits for the answers, someone with
authorities chooses the prefered one or request a bettre price. Then
orders the system to buy the products. The provider system receives
the request electronically, prepares the shipping, sends the invoice
electronically, etc. etc. All automatic and all legal.

Faxes are not the right way to do legal and reliable document
transfers. It is only a quick and unreliable way to show a document to
someone instead of dictating it by phone.

--
Alejandro Vargas