[Asterisk-Users] SIP Phones behind dynamic IPs

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri May 5 00:53:24 MST 2006

Chris Bagnall wrote:

> Okay, so assuming I've got to drop the re-registration to a much shorter
> time than the default of every hour, what are the implications of doing so
> (in terms of network traffic, load on the asterisk box, etc.)? What's the
> lowest one can reasonably take it? 10 minutes? 1 minute?

Network traffic is negligible; a few packets each way (REGISTER, 407,
ACK, REGISTER, 200, ACK). There will be some additional load on the
Asterisk server as it has to update the database each time a phone
registers.

The systems I have built all use a 5-minute registration timer and they
seem to work just fine.