[Asterisk-Users] why a perfectly fine iax2 host becomes UNREACHABLE?

Tom Engleward engleward at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 14:51:11 MST 2006

--- "Eric \"ManxPower\" Wieling" <eric at fnords.org>
wrote:
> Are you specifying the remote Asterisk box by IP or
> by hostname.  If by
> hostname, then specify it by IP.  Asterisk's DNS
> lookup support has issues.
In the trunk peer details in AMP I'd set "host=" to a
hostname. I've switched it to IP address, and will see
whether that makes a difference. Should I switch from
hostname to IP address in the register string too?

> 2) What is your qualify= set to.  Set it to "yes"
> (2000), or don't set
> it at all.  Also look at the qualify smoothing
> options in iax.conf.sample.
I don't have qualify set. I'd previously tried setting
it in an attempt to solve the unreliability problem,
at which point asterisk promptly stopped receiving
calls and refused to work again even after a reload,
so I unset qualify, did a reload, and asterisk started
receiving calls again. I recall seeing on various list
archives (maybe this list; don't remember) that other
people had had problems with qualify and iax2 in the
past too, so I gave up on qualify.
Hoping that the hostname vs. IP address issue is the
problem, now that I've switched to IP address, if I
get asterisk to consistently receive calls for 48
hours without needing a reload, I'll post a "success"
message to this list.