[Asterisk-Users] why a perfectly fine iax2 host becomes UNREA CHABLE?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu May 4 14:33:23 MST 2006

> Is anybody on this list actually using iax2 for
> anything mission-critical?

Yes. 2K inbound / outbound calls a day to 30 remote locations, aggregated to
2 PRI's tied together with IAX2. All with IP address specified rather than
hostname. All with Asterisk 1.0.9. All with 99.9% completion rate, and it
would be 99.999% if we weren't using consumer grade DOCSIS cable modems in
the remote locations.It is quite possible to make a nice Asterisk install if
you are conservative in your approach, and upgrading to CVS-HEAD (or
whatever it's called these days) every night is *not* the way to do it (I'm
sure you aren't doing that, but my point is that with bleeding edge, you,
well, bleed.)

It spooks me to think of how insanely great Asterisk will be in 2 years once
the dev team is through this 1.2 - 1.3 - 1.4 - 1.X period and we can get our
hands on a stable, bugfixed, and mature 2.0 release. Until then, 1.0.9 is
for me.

go devs go!