[Asterisk-Users] why a perfectly fine iax2 host becomes UNREACHABLE?

Tom Engleward engleward at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 14:24:53 MST 2006

--- Andrew Kohlsmith <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com>
wrote:
> No, you are supposed to realize that a) this
> software cost you nothing.  Not
> one penny.  b) this software is user-supported.
> This means that in order to
> make it better you need to help.  and c) we don't
> owe you anything.  Not a
> thing.
I clearly acknowledged this in my original message.

> In either case.  you may NOT bitch and whine
I did label my message as a rant. I didn't claim that
it wasn't.

> about
> how unacceptable it is.
I didn't say "unacceptable". I said "ridiculous".
There's a difference. I would only say "unacceptable"
if I were paying for it.
I have a grievance against the software, but I don't
have any grievance against the programmers. I would
only have a grievance against the programmers if I
were paying for the software (the grievance would be
that they weren't doing what I paid them to do).

You said I should help rather than whine. Am I not
helping by announcing that I, too, am experiencing a
problem which somebody else has mentioned, thus
providing verification that the problem isn't just an
isolated quirk caused by somebody's particular
incorrect configuration?

Besides all this, I still think my suggestion is valid
that consideration be given to adding a cron job to
asterisk to periodically place an incoming call and
issue a "reload" if the call fails. It's standard in
the software industry to have such watchdog timers on
mission-critical software.
If you're inclined to respond "ok, then just add this
feature yourself," please say so only if you happen to
agree that such a feature would actually be a good
idea. In other words, I'm including a question in this
message: "would it be a good idea to add a watchdog to
reload iax2 when it fails?"