[Asterisk-Users] Can I recreate a Fax from a recorded file?

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu May 4 12:11:49 MST 2006

>Why is this hard to fake at all?  You send a different fax to your
>system, and replace the Asterisk audio file with the one from the
>altered fax.  Additionally, the client has no realistic way of
>verifying the correctness of your audio-to-fax translation tool; it
>could just as easily output a TIFF file completely different from the
>one that was actually faxed.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way. I was thinking in terms
of subtly modifying the original audio stream not outright replacing the
recording and faking the datestamp! Given that, essentially recording the
audio is the *same* as retaining the TIFF in terms of integrity
vulnerability.

How about this: (theoretical of course)

1. Fax comes in
2. Audio is recorded
3. A checksum of the audio is generated then relayed somehow to a seperate,
secure system
4. In the event of a dispute, the checksum is retrieved, compared with the
original audio file, then the original audio is "replayed" and the fax is
regenerated.

The 3. part I leave as an exercise for the reader.